Skip to main content

The Trials and Tribulations of Teaching in Thailand



an english teacher in thailand teaching an efl class wearing a black skirt and white shirt
The English teacher seen in her natural habitat.

          For anyone considering teaching in rural Thailand, the benefits include long drives on your motorbike through the lush, green countryside, beautiful temples featuring unique architectural designs, a tropical climate, wonderful students, friendly Thai teachers, and more.

Just scooting around!

          At first, I was a bit reticent about driving the motorbike. When I tried to take my first turn (with a passenger on the back, no less!) I couldn’t control the weight of the bike and we toppled over. Of course, we were driving very slowly, so my boyfriend, the passenger, simply hopped off. Nobody got hurt, but I did feel like a colossal doofus! It took me several solo attempts and many trips as a passenger before I felt comfortable enough to drive with someone else on the bike. However, now I drive the motorbike to work almost every day, and to the city every weekend. I’ve even driven to nearby Mukdahan twice on the bike, a trip of over three hours, careening through extremely chaotic traffic on narrow and quite often treacherous roads. I love it. I always drive safely and exercise extreme caution when nearing other vehicles, but I also get a thrill driving down the long stretches of empty road one often encounters. Perhaps the greatest dangers are the frequent potholes, some of which look more like craters or gorges!




The local temples you’ll see as you explore Thailand, whether by motorbike, bus, car, or on foot, will amaze you! I could post a thousand photos of the fascinating architectural details I’ve seen firsthand here in Thailand. However, I’ll simply post a few of my personal favourites to give you a taste of the grandeur and intricacy of the traditional Thai aesthetic. If a photo is worth a thousand words, seeing it for oneself is worth a million photos. All of the following photos were taken by me, personally, using a Samsung Galaxy S6. If an amateur such as myself can capture images like these using a cellphone, just image what you can see, photograph and remember for a lifetime. Your Instagram will never be the same, to say the least!

the spires of the grand palace in bangkok, thailand, teaching in thailand
The Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand

instagram posts about travel, thailand, teaching in thailand, and teaching efl as a professional english teacher abroad
Instagram

In the first image, you can see the three distinct spires at The Temple of the Emerald Buddha or Wat Phra Kaew (วัดพระแก้ว), one of the buildings that constitute the temple complex. In the second set of pictures, taken from my IG account, you can see many more photos taken all around Thailand, from an elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai to a waterpark in Sakon Nakhon to the beaches of Phuket to the temples of Bangkok.

          As if the gorgeous sites, adventures with elephants, and relaxing on sunny beaches weren’t enough, the most rewarding part of teaching EFL in Thailand, is the students. The appreciation and affection that my students have shown me is really heartwarming. Seeing the progress they’ve made over the past three semesters has been one of the proudest achievements of my life. I say that not to sound arrogant or self-satisfied, but because it’s the truth. Students who didn’t have the confidence to speak in front of the class are now able to shout out vocabulary words and repeat dialogues without hesitation.

advice for teachers in thailand, advice for teaching in thailand, thai students, english teacher, efl teacher
With some of  my wonderful Mathayom 4 students!

          Of course, a large part of this is due to the fact that they are growing up, gaining more experience in high school and being encouraged and educated by their wonderful Thai teachers. However, I can say with some certainty that at least a small part of their academic achievement in English has been bolstered and strengthened by my classes, my encouragement and my engagement with them as individuals. 

          Below you can see a sample of some of the comments I've received here on this blog (you can also scroll through previous posts and see even more comments!). I could not believe all the love they sent my way (please ignore the spelling and grammar mistakes; they are only kids!). To be fair, the Principle also told me she loved me on my second time meeting her and once, a random woman at a restaurant told her baby to say, “Hello! I love you!” to me and my boyfriend! Thai people are very generous with the word “love”! They are also very friendly, helpful and kind. I have never yet met a Thai person I didn’t like. And that’s saying something because I can be very grumpy sometimes. ;)

A sample of student comments:

“I love teacher Laura.😍😚💖💕”
“I love teacher Laura because the teacher is a funny.”
“I love teacher Laura because the teacher is cheeful and kind.💕💕”
“I love laura teacher so much, teacher is very kind person”
“I thanks you teacher Laure you good teacher”
“I love Laura teacher because Laura teacher funny💜💜💜💜”
“I like the teacher a lot.”
“I love teacher Laura because the teacher is cheerful cute and kind.”
“Teacher Laura is a nice person. Easy to teach”
“I love teacher Laura, teacher is funny, hilarious, makes students happy.”
“I love Laura teacher because Laura teacher funny and beautiful”

          Below, you can see some drawings my students made of me. These really made my year! I am so proud of my students and so happy that they have welcomed me as their teacher! If you decide to teach abroad, you may have the same experience! Being a role model wasn't something I ever though I'd be good at, but my time here as a teacher has helped me grow as a person, become more confident and improve my ability not only to teach, but to be a teacher, a role model, someone my students can trust and depend on. The skill to teach a subject, including knowledge, preparation, lesson planning, techniques and methodologies is only half of the equation; the other half is allowing yourself to connect with your students in way that encourages them to do their best learning.

student drawing of an english teacher in thailand

student drawing of an english teacher in thailand

student drawing of an english teacher in thailand

student drawing of an english teacher in thailand, what it's like to teach in thailand

thai student drawing of english teacher

thai student work in efl class

thai student drawing of an english teacher in thailand


thai student work in efl class

drawing of teacher by student

Canadian English teacher in Thailand



          When a student shows you something like this, it really makes all the paperwork, lesson planning, prep time, cleaning and organizing the classroom, chasing down late assignments and dealing with difficult classes, worthwhile. Although I won’t miss the giant spiders, cockroaches, floods, searing heat waves, the inevitable boredoms of rural life, the flat tires on the motorbike, the school dress code that requires me to wear a skirt every day, or giving the morning talk (which I personally dislike, although I’m sure there are teachers who enjoy it), I will miss a lot of things and I know I’ll miss my students most of all!




More amazing student artwork!

beautiful student artwork from a thai student in English class

beautiful student artwork, teaching in thailand

thai student notebook

adjectives

Thai student artwork for english class in Thailand

esl adjectives drawing
Thai student artwork for english class in Thailand

beautiful Thai student artwork for english class in Thailand

esl assignment artwork

esl worksheet for Thai students

esl minions drawing






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code for Female Teachers in Thailand

Since I am a female teacher, I must wear a skirt to work every day. Now, if you’re a feisty feminist like myself, you probably do not fancy this at all. That being said, I have gotten used to it. Although the dress code certainly isn’t my favourite thing about teaching in Thailand, I do recommend the experience overall, despite that. To help you understand what women can and cannot wear while teaching in Thailand, I will show you some of the outfits I wear to the school. However, please remember that each school will be different. I have a feeling my school is a bit more lenient because we are in a rural area. As you can see, I wore almost the same thing every day during the year of mourning. English teacher in Thailand wearing a long-sleeved blue button-up shirt and a shin-length black skirt. If you look closely you can see that I am wearing suspenders, a long-sleeved, light blue button-up, a long, black A-line skirt with single chevron-strip

Movies

  In this unit, you can practice movie genre vocabulary including: like, don't like, watch, movies, genres, animated, comedy, action, science fiction, fantasy, romance, drama, horror, and documentary. Movie Genres Vocabulary Cards   Movies Vocabulary Scramble Worksheet . . . Dialogue: A: Do you like to watch movies? B: Yes. I do. / No I don't. A: What kind of movies do you like to watch? B: I like ___ movies.  Personally, I like scifi (science fiction) movies! I enjoy movies that make you think about reality, the nature of perception, our understanding of the universe, space and time.     Star Wars versus Star Trek Infographic courtesy of GREAT-ODEN on Deviant Art   A lot of scifi fans like either Star Wars or Star Trek best. Honestly, I love them both! :D But what makes a movie "science fiction" and NOT fantasy? Science fiction movies: (1) are set in a plausible universe (no magic

Classroom English 2

Classroom English Vocabulary Cards Preview Classroom English Vocabulary Cards  Honeycomb Maze Classroom English Word Search Preview Classroom English Word Search Fun Easy Classroom English Colouring Sheet   Classroom English Colouring Assignment FRONT Classroom English Colouring Assignment BACK   Classroom English Colouring Sheet BACK with Thai Translations Thai Translations for Classroom English One-Page Poster-Size   Thai English Matching Worksheet   Answer Key See Also:   Thai-Kuna Matata What is it Like inside an ESL/EFL Classroom in Rural Thailand? Star Wars Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous Quotes about Education & Learning Part I