Skip to main content

Why Teach ESL?


1. JOB SATISFACTION


Teaching can be a lot of fun and very rewarding if you like working with people! I had previously worked with kids as a babysitter and au pair, so that’s what led me to consider teaching ESL. I found that it was easy for me to engage with students because I have a positive, fun attitude and kids respond really well to that. I really feel that teaching has made me a better person and it’s something that I enjoy and feel proud of.

2. TRAVEL


Teaching ESL has also given me the opportunity to travel. I have lived and worked abroad for many years, from Lima to Kumamoto to Sakhon Nakhon, to small towns in the south of France. Although it was difficult at first, I’ve had enough experience that I now understand culture shock first-hand and have developed the skills to deal with it effectively. There have been many occasions when I had to manage my expectations and adapt to the social mores, business etiquette, lifestyle, etc. of the places I’ve travelled. I’ve been fortunate enough to live in South America, Europe and Asia, among many diverse cultures in cities of different shapes, sizes and descriptions from a tiny, rural, agricultural village in Thailand to some of the biggest cities in the world.

3. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT


Throughout the years I’ve learned a lot about teaching and most of the skills that I’ve developed as a teacher are essential for academic disciplines and many types of skilled labour. Preparing an interesting and engaging lesson is integral, and that requires foresight, planning, and organization. If your students like your class and like you, the chances are much higher that they will participate and complete assignments. Part of creating an interesting class is increasing student talk time. One practical way to do this is to encourage higher level students to speak more and take on the role of the “teacher” at times, such as when reading out vocabulary or leading a group discussion. This is a great lesson in leadership, management, and delegation. Additionally, we need to give lower level students the opportunity to participate without necessarily being in the spotlight; for instance, games, activities and group work can be really helpful. Designing or modifying these activities requires creativity and implementing them successfully in the classroom often requires flexibility and quick thinking.

4. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT


The resources I’ve found, the techniques and strategies I’ve developed and the methodologies and rubrics I’ve learned about have helped me become a better teacher and that has helped me become a better public speaker, a better listener, become more patient, more empathetic, more culturally sensitive, etc. I’ve come to learn that it’s just as important to understand my students and their different cultures as it is to understand the material I’m teaching. And through understanding others, I’ve also been able to better understand myself. Teaching and learning are two sides of the same coin; you can’t have one without the other. My students make me a better person. As Robert Half put it, “When one teaches, two learn.”

5. HELPING STUDENTS SUCCEED


It’s so rewarding when students make progress and it’s great when you challenge your students without overwhelming them. My teaching style is somewhat relaxed, I’m not an authoritarian, but of course I want to encourage my students as much as possible and fulfill my responsibility as an educator; I want to see them succeed! That being said, at some point all learning is autodidactic. The role of a teacher can be very important, but if the student doesn’t want to learn, the results won’t be great. I encourage students to be their own and each other’s teacher as much as possible. For example, giving homework can be very helpful for self-learning at home, to augment what is being studied in class. However, depending on the student, it may not be feasible. Some older students also have work and family responsibilities and some younger students may not have the parental support to ensure that homework is consistently completed. In the end, we’re all just doing our best and it’s more important to have empathy towards our students than it is to force them to memorize grammatic structures. As much as I want my students to learn English, I’m also just as happy when they learn about anything, when they have fun in class and when we connect in a positive and meaningful way. It’s all about balance, compromise and co-operation. Encouragement and positive reinforcement goes a long way!

6. BEING A ROLE MODEL


School-aged students have a lot going on besides school; they have family, friends, extracurricular activities, music lessons, sports, etc. and it can all be a bit overwhelming, which is why it’s so important to be consistently kind, supportive, and encouraging. We need to make sure to treat all our students fairly and equally. We need to be a positive influence for our students. This is such an important aspect of teaching, just as important as tests and grades, maybe more so. It’s important to think holistically about education. English class isn’t just about English. Whenever we have the opportunity and responsibility to act as role models for young people, we should give that the importance it deserves. Your classroom should be a safe and comfortable space for students. As we lead by example through our correct words and actions, students are affected by our attitude in the classroom. When students see you interact with and make an effort for each one of them, they internalize the lesson that they are all equal. Although I’m not suggesting that you convert your English class into Ethics 101, it should be apparent that a teacher can have a huge impact on someone’s life.

“A teacher affects eternity; she can never tell where her influence stops.” - Henry Brooks Adams

* * *

Check out these posts for more information about how to start your teaching career:



* * *

Plus, more inspiring quotes about teaching!





Comments

  1. Love the new layout and your new posts!

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support as always! <3 <3 <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code for Female Teachers in Thailand

Since I am a female teacher, I must wear a skirt to work every day. Now, if you’re a feisty feminist like myself, you probably do not fancy this at all. That being said, I have gotten used to it. Although the dress code certainly isn’t my favourite thing about teaching in Thailand, I do recommend the experience overall, despite that. To help you understand what women can and cannot wear while teaching in Thailand, I will show you some of the outfits I wear to the school. However, please remember that each school will be different. I have a feeling my school is a bit more lenient because we are in a rural area. As you can see, I wore almost the same thing every day during the year of mourning. English teacher in Thailand wearing a long-sleeved blue button-up shirt and a shin-length black skirt. If you look closely you can see that I am wearing suspenders, a long-sleeved, light blue button-up, a long, black A-line skirt with single chevron-strip

Movies

  In this unit, you can practice movie genre vocabulary including: like, don't like, watch, movies, genres, animated, comedy, action, science fiction, fantasy, romance, drama, horror, and documentary. Movie Genres Vocabulary Cards   Movies Vocabulary Scramble Worksheet . . . Dialogue: A: Do you like to watch movies? B: Yes. I do. / No I don't. A: What kind of movies do you like to watch? B: I like ___ movies.  Personally, I like scifi (science fiction) movies! I enjoy movies that make you think about reality, the nature of perception, our understanding of the universe, space and time.     Star Wars versus Star Trek Infographic courtesy of GREAT-ODEN on Deviant Art   A lot of scifi fans like either Star Wars or Star Trek best. Honestly, I love them both! :D But what makes a movie "science fiction" and NOT fantasy? Science fiction movies: (1) are set in a plausible universe (no magic

What is it Like Inside an ESL Classroom in Rural Thailand?

Beautiful work by my lovely students! A virtual tour of the EFL classroom in a rural rice village in Sakon Nakhon province, Thailand, circa 2018. Get a inside view as to what you can expect when you come to teach English in Thailand. Thanks for watching and Happy Teaching! RELATED:  Dress Code for Female Teachers in Thailand RELATED:  What is it Like inside an ESL/EFL Classroom in Rural Thailand? RELATED:  Classroom Supplies for Teaching English RELATED:  Teaching in Thailand RELATED:  Tips for Teaching in Thailand: Esan Eccentricities