Skip to main content

Thai-Kuna Matata


          Many of you know the words hakuna matata from Disney's, The Lion King. "Hakuna matata" is an extant Swahili phrase from the root words 'hakuna' (there are not) and 'matata' (problems). It means something like, "no worries".

          Thailand also has a famous phrase with the same approximate meaning; the ever-versatile, “mai bpen rai" (sounds like ‘my pen rye’) means "don't worry about it," "don't mention it," or "you're welcome," among other things. Think, “keep calm and carry on,” mixed with “don’t worry, be happy”.

          For example, chilling with a monkey on the beach is peak mai pben rai. Do you see me stressing about missing grades, student absenteeism, or bureaucracy? Absolutely not. Even now, do I care whether it’s officially mai bpen rai, mai ben rai or mai pen rai? Nope. It doesn't matter. Mai bpen rai is all about not sweating the small stuff (for my non-English-speaking readers, 'sweat the small stuff' is an idiom that means to stress and therefore sweat about insignificant details).

An image of a woman in a hot pink bathing suit at Monkey Beach in Phuket, Thailand with a monkey and the words Mai Pen Rai, tips for teaching in thailand
Quintessential mai bpen rai

          However, the oft-used saying is no mere linguistic pleasantry or formal expression of etiquette; it is also an attitude, a lifestyle or even a philosophy. Mai bpen rai could indeed be viewed as the quintessence of quotidian Thai-ness. Of course there is vastly more to say regarding Thai philosophical and religious beliefs, but for the novice studying Thai culture for the first time, mai pben rai is an excellent place to start.

A divine figure with offerings at a shrine in Savannakhet, Laos, tips for teaching in thailand
A shrine in Savannakhet, Laos, on the border with Thailand

          Theravada Buddhism, the “Doctrine of the Elders” is the spiritual path for the vast majority of Thais (90%+), and we can observe its omnipresent influence in the mai bpen rai worldview. Think calmness, serenity, peace, monks meditating, etc. Now, I'm neither a religious person, nor an expert on Buddhism, but I have experienced mai bpen rai culture first-hand for the past three school semesters. That’s why I decided to write this piece describing the idea in layman’s terms. As far as I understand it, mai bpen rai is a nondenominational, secular phenomena that anyone can adopt. Whether atheist, agnostic, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish or other, welcome the mai pben rai mantra into your lexicon and welcome Thailand into your heart.

          Living in The Land of Smiles, mai bpen rai becomes second nature. It can be applied to almost any situation. Class cancelled unexpectedly? Mai bpen rai. Need to reschedule a test? Mai bpen rai. Late to school because your motorbike broke down? Mai bpen rai, baby! Thai people are extremely friendly, warm-hearted, and kind. In over a year of teaching, I have yet to encounter a problem that has not been met with a smile and a "mai bpen rai".

Puppies, sunflowers, smiles, my friend Pijim and me, tips for teaching in thailand
Sunflowers AND puppies?! It doesn't get any better than this!

          When I first moved to Thailand, it frustrated me to no end that mai bpen rai seemed to apply as a kind of automatic response to situations which I found to be thoroughly unexpected and exasperating. However, with some constructive communication between myself, the MK staff (shoutout to the Thai consultants, especially the incomparable Kratai!) and the school administration, I am now able to take advantage of these afforementioned events.


          For example, I was quite surprised to find out that I had two completely unexpected PAID days off a few weeks ago! This occurrence threw my class schedules out of alignment, meaning that I would be teaching different units to classes in the same grade for the foreseeable future. Additionally, there are so many days off in semester 2 that administering tests, collecting work from the students and therefore, recording grades can feel like an uphill climb. However, I didn’t focus on the negatives. Since the Head of the Department gave me some advance notice, I was able to readjust my teaching schedule and make the most of those days.

          Now I can maximize the productivity of that down-time by lesson planning, creating fun props for the classroom, or writing for Lolo on the Gogo.

lolotravelgogo banner image with flamingos, tips for teaching in thailand
RELATED: What is it Like in an ESL Classroom in Rural Thailand?

          In my personal interpretation of the mai bpen rai school of thought, a problem is just a challenge that needs a fun, positive and light-hearted attitude to conquer it. Mai bpen rai doesn’t mean that Thais don’t care about anything, aren’t problem-solvers or won’t work to better themselves and their circumstances. Thais are extremely hard-working and the teaching staff at my school more often than not arrive before me, stay after me and even come to the school on weekends. Their dedication is an inspiration to me to do my best! So embrace Thai realness, Buddhist serenity and the calming surety of the mai bpen rai life.

tips for teaching in thailand

          Speaking of light-heartedness, let’s end this blog post the way it began, with a nod to the Disney canon in the form of some memorable and encouraging quotes to help psyche you up about your adventure in Thailand! No matter what new, strange challenges you may face here, there will always be someone willing to help you through it. You might just find that the struggles you face will come to be among the most redeeming parts of your stay, if you tough it out and overcome them.

"The only way to get what you want in this world is through hard work!" 
~Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)

"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun! You find the fun and -snap!- the job's a game!"
~Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins)

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem." 
~Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)

"Venture outside your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it." 
~Rapunzel (Tangled)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew."
~Pocahontas (Pocahontas)


"Listen with your heart, you will understand." 
~Grandmother Willow (Pocahontas)

"A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." 
~Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh)

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all." 
~The Emperor (Mulan)

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." 
~Christopher Robin (Pooh's Most Grand Adventure)

"You don't have time to be timid! You must be bold, daring!"
~Lumiere (Beauty and the Beast)

"Hakuna matata!"
~Timon and Pumba (The Lion King)

Hakuna Matata Lion King image



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dress Code for Female Teachers in Thailand

Since I am a female teacher, I must wear a skirt to work every day. Now, if you’re a feisty feminist like myself, you probably do not fancy this at all. That being said, I have gotten used to it. Although the dress code certainly isn’t my favourite thing about teaching in Thailand, I do recommend the experience overall, despite that. To help you understand what women can and cannot wear while teaching in Thailand, I will show you some of the outfits I wear to the school. However, please remember that each school will be different. I have a feeling my school is a bit more lenient because we are in a rural area. As you can see, I wore almost the same thing every day during the year of mourning. English teacher in Thailand wearing a long-sleeved blue button-up shirt and a shin-length black skirt. If you look closely you can see that I am wearing suspenders, a long-sleeved, light blue button-up, a long, black A-line skirt with single chevron-strip

Movies

  In this unit, you can practice movie genre vocabulary including: like, don't like, watch, movies, genres, animated, comedy, action, science fiction, fantasy, romance, drama, horror, and documentary. Movie Genres Vocabulary Cards   Movies Vocabulary Scramble Worksheet . . . Dialogue: A: Do you like to watch movies? B: Yes. I do. / No I don't. A: What kind of movies do you like to watch? B: I like ___ movies.  Personally, I like scifi (science fiction) movies! I enjoy movies that make you think about reality, the nature of perception, our understanding of the universe, space and time.     Star Wars versus Star Trek Infographic courtesy of GREAT-ODEN on Deviant Art   A lot of scifi fans like either Star Wars or Star Trek best. Honestly, I love them both! :D But what makes a movie "science fiction" and NOT fantasy? Science fiction movies: (1) are set in a plausible universe (no magic

What is it Like Inside an ESL Classroom in Rural Thailand?

Beautiful work by my lovely students! A virtual tour of the EFL classroom in a rural rice village in Sakon Nakhon province, Thailand, circa 2018. Get a inside view as to what you can expect when you come to teach English in Thailand. Thanks for watching and Happy Teaching! RELATED:  Dress Code for Female Teachers in Thailand RELATED:  What is it Like inside an ESL/EFL Classroom in Rural Thailand? RELATED:  Classroom Supplies for Teaching English RELATED:  Teaching in Thailand RELATED:  Tips for Teaching in Thailand: Esan Eccentricities